*** Sunrise Sunset Cottage is your vacation home on the Chesapeake Bay Of Maryland. Nestled in a historic Chesapeake Bay fishing village. Scenic and peaceful year round, the Sunrise Sunset Cottage sits on the southern tip of Deal Island. ?Enjoy spectacular Chesapeake Bay and Harbor water views from our modern custom built water man's style cottage in Deal island. Watch ships and fishing boats from the 2nd floor living room picture window. Sip coffee as you take in a Harbor sunrise from the 2nd floor screened-in porch/deck area. ??Welcome to Maryland's "slower, lower" Eastern Shore! ??Deal Island is connected to the mainland by 1/4 mile bridge. By car, a unique get away vacation destination for guests from Baltimore, Washington D.C., Annapolis, Philadelphia, New Jersey and beyond. Visit a "land that time seems to have forgotten" on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Our guests from afar fly in to Sailsbury-Wicomico Regional Airport...a mini-hub for US Airways. So come be our guests!?
"For fast-acting relief, try slowing down."
Read this fishing blog that includes a video on how to filet croaker
2011 a new fishing pier and boat ramp have been added to the harbor located just a short walk from the Sunrise~Sunrise Cottage.
2012 Arbys store opened Shedders Restaurant and Bar.
Scenic Deal Island Area Info
Enjoy going back in time to small island Chesapeake Bay life as it was from decades ago!
I. Deal Island beach: a white sandy ¼ mile beach featuring open water views of the Chesapeake Bay. Relax, swim, fish? It?s located just past the Deal Island Bridge next to the harbor.
II. Fishing and crabbing: Ask Arby! Arby Holland and his family (they run the General Store in Wenona) are the experts on the greater Deal Island area best fishing and crabbing areas. That said; if you want to buy crabs or fish from the boat Captains let Arby know at least a day or more in advance . .
If you want to reserve a Charter boat trip directly from a Captain, see below:
1. Harry Neild capt's the "KINGFISH II"/443-871-3499/ up to 22 passengers
2. Stan Daniels capt's the "Little Art"/410-784-2693/"The Singing Fisherman" has the "Best Fishing on the Chesapeake Bay!"
3. Dickey Webster capt's the "Three K's"/410-784-2053/ up to 22 passengers
4. Larry Tawes capt's the "Tina Louise"/410-546-3968/ up to 24 passengers
5. Paul Benton capt's the "Madam X"/410-784-2343/ up to 6 passengers
6. Harry Nauman capt's the "JA Parks"/410-784-2690/ up to 6 passengers
III. The State of Maryland Deal Island Wildlife Management Area can be found on both sides of Deal Island Road in and around greater Deal Island. It features scenic water vistas of the Chesapeake Bay and it?s tributaries. It is 13000 acres. It has over 9 miles of flat trails used by walkers, hikers, off road cyclist, crabbers and birdwatchers. See the 3 access areas below:
1. The Messick Road public boat ramp area in Dames Quarter features a ramp and pier. When facing the water, you are looking at the mouth of Dames Quarter Creek. From the ramp, small boat owners go to the right up in to the creek. Large boat owners head to the left where they quickly meet the waters of the Monie Bay/Wicomico River. The Tangier Sound open waters on the Chance, MD side of the Chesapeake Bay quickly follow. This ramp is used for fishing and recreational boating activity. The Messick Road pier and shoreline is a popular spot for fishing, crabbing and bird watching.
(Messick Road is approximately 10 miles in from Rte 13. From Deal Island Road turn on Messick Road and go approximately 1 mile. The public boat ramp area is at the end. )
2. The Riley Roberts Road public boat ramp area is in Dames Quarter. This is actually considered the main entrance to the WMA. It has 2 ramps. The ramp on the left is used by small boater owners. It features the east side of the impoundment (lake) area of the Deal Island Wildlife Management Area. Primarily known for 2 things. Catching Maryland Chesapeake Blue crabs the old fashion way. IE by line/chicken neck/weight/net. And for its 9 miles of scenic water vista related trail. The ramp on the right is used by larger boat owners. It quickly feeds in to where the mouth of the Manokin River meets the Tangier Sound waters of the Little Deal Island side of the Chesapeake Bay. Mainly used for fishing, hunting and recreational boating activity.
( Riley Roberts Rd is approximately 12 miles in from Rte 13. From Deal Island Rd turn on Riley Roberts Road. Take it to the end. Riley Roberts Rd is approximately 3 miles long. Very rustic, very rural. A good halfway marker is the old Deal Island School property which is directly across from 10876 Riley Roberts Road ).
3. The Wenona public boat ramp is located at the southern most tip of Deal Island.walking distance from the house. Launch your kayak, canoe or other small boat for the 10 minute paddle to Little Deal Island. Little Deal Island is uninhabited. Walk it's beaches, explore it's creeks ("guts"), fish, crab, birdwatch... (Wenona Harbor is approximately 19 miles in from Rte 13. Take Deal Island Roadd to the end. Look for the harbor ramp and parking area on the left.
4. Weekend Yard Sales: along Deal Island Rd. enjoy meeting local island residents and maybe finding a Chesapeake keepsake or 2
V. Nature: stargazing is supreme. Enjoy seeing the milkway and beyond by naked eye. Birdwatching is a guest favorite too. Ospreys (fish hawk), Pelicans, Snowy Egrets, Herons? Siteseeing. Wenona has been around since the mid 1800s. The terrain is flat. Enjoy walks and bike rides throught old small town Bay charm.
Other area Information
* Princess Anne is a Historical small town with several small shops & eateries. * Salisbury has a small zoo that has won national awards www.salisburyzoo.org* There is also the Ward Wild Fowl Museum in Salisbury. www.wardmuseum.org* *Visit the beautiful vineyards winery & tasting facility of Bordeleau Vinyards in Eden Md. www.Bordeleauwine.com